Thursday, October 2, 2014

Book #119: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Book #119: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith (and Jane Austen)

October 2, 2014


When I'd previously written that I wanted to read something light-hearted, even silly, this is what I went for. Mission accomplished. I found myself wondering at times what the point of this book was. Then again, what's the point of any of the innumerable Pride and Prejudice inspired works, which could almost be a genre in and of itself? At worst, this particular book is high-quality fan fiction. That's more than can be said of other popular texts.

So I wasn't all that enamored with Grahame-Smith's Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, but he's at an advantage here because he's using quality source material. He integrates the zombies into the story masterfully. I found a couple of scenes to be annoyingly tailor-made for film, but I otherwise found it to be well crafted. The Bennet sisters are Shaolin-trained zombie slayers, at a time when a zombie plague has been going on in England for over half a century. Sounds nutty, and yet it's very well integrated into the original plot. It would make sense that, in the case of a massive zombie attack, practical Mr. Bennet would want his five daughters well-trained. Indeed, for both young men and women to be trained in the "deadly arts" is just another accomplishment, like playing the piano well or being a skilled horse rider. And in spite of the zombie attacks, social order is more or less maintained in England. Keep calm and carry on, indeed.

Grahame-Smith also makes the ridiculous characters even more ridiculous, like Mrs. Bennet and Mr. Collins. Mr. Darcy is a little vulgar, making a play on words that brings to mind the lyrics of AC/DC's "Big Balls." Wickham suffers a terrible fate, and he's a more obvious philanderer on top of being a dishonorable gambler and gold-digger. Some of Austen's humor is "modernized" (made less subtle and more crude), but more or less maintaining a genuine tone. The little details that Grahame-Smith adds, simetimes utterly ridiculous, made me laugh out loud.

The best part of the book was Charlotte Lucas's infestation with the zombie plague. I always liked that character, but her being all zombie-like at Rosings...it's just too fucking funny. I like her reason for marrying Collins in this book better than the original: that she wanted a clergyman for a husband who would behead her and pray for her properly when the time came. In fact, Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy's growing respect for each other as skilled warriors made a lot of sense, too, in this context.

I don't think this book could be fully appreciated without an appreciation for the source material. I definitely think that Grahame-Smith wrote this reverently, that he appreciates Austen's work himself. It also helps to be a huge dork. I'm willing to own that; I enjoyed this ridiculous book. I certainly have no interest in reading any other such mash-ups; this randomness was probably enough for me. But for someone who likes Jane Austen but doesn't take it too seriously, I would recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment