Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Book #112: Someday, Someday, Maybe

Book #112: Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham

 

August 27, 2014

 

 

When I was going through the new releases on my library’s ebook site, the cover of this book caught my attention for a couple of reasons. First off, I must say now that I hate the cover picture because it makes no sense. It shows a young woman riding a bike on a bridge in New York (perhaps the Brooklyn Bridge, since that’s where much of the book is set), when Franny doesn’t even own a bike. A picture of a woman walking the “wrong way” under a “one way street” sign would make a hell of a lot more sense. Secondly, I had to smile at the author’s name. Didn’t she know that if you share a name with someone who is famous, you’re supposed to put in the middle initial? Like director Morgan J. Freeman, and famous veteran actor Morgan Freeman? But when I read the description, I saw that Lorelei Gilmore really had written a book.

 

I’ve already written on this blog about how much I love Gilmore Girls, and how my dog’s name is Rory, blah blah blah. So of course I had to read this book, though I didn’t go into it with the highest of expectations. I guess it’s a bias that I have about a person getting to publish a book just because they’re famous. I mean, fucking Snooki. Come on. While I wouldn’t go so far as to say that this book was a pleasant surprise (because obviously Lauren Graham is a much wittier lady than Nicole Polizzi), I will say that, while I’d classify this book as a “beach read,” I found it very entertaining, like above average “beach read” material.

 

So the story clearly reflects much of Graham’s own life and experiences. Her character reminded me of Lorelei Gilmore in some ways, in that she was often unorganized, silly, self-indulgent when she could afford it and justify it, yet hard-working and driven. The book overall had a light-hearted tone, and the word that comes to my head is delightful. This book is delightful. Franny is a fun character. She is very likable, just the right amount of insecure. Not an entirely original character, to be sure, and the story itself (struggling actress becoming successful…well, sort of) isn’t entirely original, either, and yet it flowed pretty well and kept me entertained. Having grown up in the ‘90s, I enjoyed the setting as well.

 

I guess there isn’t a whole lot to say about the book overall. I would say, if you are a fan of Lauren Graham’s work, it’s a must-read. And if you like light-hearted yet well-written characters, it’s worth reading. I haven’t really watched Graham’s newest show, Parenthood, but my borrowed ebook edition featured a random interview between Graham and a costar on the show, Mayonegg…oops, I mean Mae Whitman (her?). Didn’t get the point of that, but again, delightful nonetheless. I’m determined to read many serious, life-altering sort of books as I plow on, but sometimes, it’s okay to have a little fluff, like cheese puffs, in your diet. If Graham published another book, I’d read it as a break from heavier books. It’s much less of a “guilty pleasure” than most other “beach reads,” that’s for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment